Just two months after “Herb” Philipson’s went up for sale, a longtime employee of the outdoor retailer has purchased the company.
Company President Gary Philipson announced Wednesday that Guy Viti, who currently works as the president of Merchandising and Operations for “Herb” Philipson’s and has been employed there for 37 years, has purchased the company.
“My mother and I could not be happier than to see the sale of Herb Philipson’s to Guy Viti,” Philipson said in a news release. “Guy started working for my father thirty seven years ago and has worked with me for most of my career. We know the company and its Three Hundred and Forty plus employees are in good hands with our friend and co-worker Guy Viti. I’m sure there will be many new and exciting developments for the company under the ownership of Mr. Viti.”
“Herb” Philipson’s, known as the “Outfitters for the Great Outdoors,” was founded in 1951 in Rome by Gary Philipson’s father, Herb Philipson. The company has nine different store locations: Rome, New Hartford, Oneida, Herkimer, Watertown, Liverpool, Newark, Oswego and DeWitt.
“I would first like to thank Gary Philipson and his mother Aviva Philipson for showing their trust in me by letting me purchase the company,” said Guy Viti, the new owner. “I have worked here for my entire professional career. I have great plans for this company and I look forward to working with the community and my three hundred and forty teammates in providing our customers with the best brands at the best prices. I have plans for many new and exciting changes at our nine stores. Stay tuned, the best is yet to come.”
- Longtime employee purchases 'Herb' Philipson's, says 'best is yet to come'
- Herb Philipson’s Bankruptcy Update
- Outdoor retailer 'Herb' Philipson's up for sale
- 'Herb' Philipson's files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Herb Philipson’s in Bankruptcy Court
- Herb Philipson's annual coat drive to begin Friday
- Herb Philipson's aims to collect 3,000 coats by Sunday
- 'Herb' Philipson's celebrates grand reopening under new ownership
- 'Herb' Philipson's becomes exclusive offsite retailer of Comets merchandise
- Herb Philipson's is up for sale, will auction off assets