UTICA, N.Y. -- The community is coming together to remember a man who committed his life to this area.
Calling hours for Wayne Smoulcey at Our Lady of Lourdes church in Utica.
Members with the Oneida County Sheriff's Office, Willowvale Fire Department and several other agencies were also there.
Smoulcey passed away last Wednesday after a long battle with cancer.
He served as chief of the Willowvale Fire Company, and was also an Oneida County sheriff deputy.
Everyone at the ceremony WKTV spoke with said Wayne was just an all-around great person.
"His commitment and dedication and on top that he always had a smile on his face. As bad of a day that he was battling cancer, he always came to work with a smile on his face. He was just a well-liked person and on the flip side people loved being around him so he will be sorely missed.">
His funeral will be Wednesday morning at 11 a.m. at the church.
- Loved ones remember Wayne Smoulcey for committing his life to his community
- Funeral arrangements made for Wayne Smoulcey
- Thousands of community members standing behind Wayne Smoulcey
- Mug Club: Benefit for Fire Chief & Deputy Sheriff Wayne Smoulcey
- End of watch: Family, friends say goodbye to Wayne Smoulcey
- Loved ones, community remember Utica double homicide victim
- Waterville community remembers transgender teen
- A community remembers Jason Pomeroy
- Chief Smoulcey of Willowvale Fire Company passes away after long battle with cancer
- Loved ones, listeners remember longtime radio DJ after unexpected death