Warmer weather is expected again this weekend along with rain. This brings up the question "will there be ice jams again?". The answer is unlikely, mainly because this thaw is going to be short and not as dramatic as the previous ones. Also, we don't expect the rain to be heavy this weekend. We'll continue to keep an eye on things though and we'll
The weekend actually starts out cold, with temperatures in the teens Saturday morning. Watch out if you're heading out Friday night or early Saturday. We expect patchy black ice again like we saw on Thursday night. By Saturday afternoon, temperatures climb above freezing and another January thaw begins. Highs on Saturday are expected to climb into the mid 40s in many areas (cooler to the north and east of Utica).
A cold front brings rain on Saturday afternoon and evening. Totals aren't expected to be enough to cause flooding:
The weather turns active next week, with a storm expected to pass east on Monday. We'll continue to monitor the trends with that one. Colder weather follows for Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Low risk for ice jams this weekend
- Monitoring Ice Jams
- Flooding and Ice Jams Possible Friday
- UPDATE: Ice jam cleared on Sauquoit Creek in Whitesboro
- DEC to survey ice jam on Fish Creek Wednesday
- Ice jams cause flooding in town of Danube
- Crews breaking up ice jams to prevent Sauquoit Creek flooding
- Book Jam at Handshake City
- Ice jams in Indian Creek pose flooding concerns for Little Falls residents
- Super Jam returns to Sylvan Beach