LOWVILLE – The Lowville Academy and Central School District is working with local law enforcement to investigate a possible threat toward the school, according to Superintendent Cheryl Steckly.
Steckly said the district received information last week during mid-winter break regarding a potential threat involving a gun. She confirmed there was a threat made to several students during class by one particular student.
The alleged threatening statements were made three to four weeks ago, and the teacher wasn't aware of what was going on because the students were working independently.
Steckly says there was also some inaccurate information that she wanted to address. She said there was no list of students' names who were the target of the threat.
The school is not on lockdown or lockout, but police are on the school campus today.
“The district is conducting a thorough investigation and has involved the local police department,” Steckly said in a statement sent to NEWSChannel 2 Tuesday morning. “Student and staff safety is our highest priority and in a time when school violence has become a part of our world, our district will take each and every threat seriously and treat each one as credible.”
The student in question could be facing criminal charges, and Steckly would not confirm whether or not the student will be allowed to attend the school again.
“He is not in school and will not be for sometime,” she said.
Steckly said some other rumors were being spread concerning an assembly this Friday.
“It was not related to that threat, we had no information about that,” she said. “We are looking at that carefully whether we will hold that assembly, we do not believe there is a credible threat. But we also want students and parents to feel secure here at the school.”
Steckly said the district is grateful that students, staff and parents “remain vigilant” and share concerns about student safety. She says the district will continue to do everything possible to ensure everybody at Lowville Academy is safe.
- Lowville school district, local law enforcement investigating possible threat
- Fatal fire in Lowville under investigation
- Lowville house destroyed by fire
- Law enforcement investigating homicide in Fort Plain
- Law enforcement investigating a drowning in Camden
- Law enforcement investigating incident on Herkimer Road
- Local runners, law enforcement talk runners safety
- Local law enforcement react to mass shootings
- New Hartford district investigates school threat, found not credible
- Garage destroyed by fire in Lowville