UTICA, N.Y. - The Mohawk Valley Health System invited community members and employees to a celebration at the site of the downtown hospital footprint.
MVHS workers gave the public and their employees a tour of where the hospital would be and where each individual department could be. Bob Scholefield, MVHS Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, says this tour was a chance for the community and employees to get a better perspective of the project.
"So many people in the community, our employees had a lot of questions and curiosities about the new facility," Scholefield said.
"I think people are interested in knowing where the front entrance is going to be, the emergency department is going to be other, important locations around the site and just give a little more understanding to everyone about the future of this location."
At Thursday night's celebration, people in attendance enjoyed music, food trucks, activities for kids, and ice cream.
The tour had 12 different stops for individual areas of the hospital. Some of the points on interest were the main entrance, the emergency department entrance, the helipad, operating rooms, and nurses stations.
Scholefield says the project could break ground soon, but before that can happen, the Utica Zoning Board has to decide if they are going to grant zoning variances to MVHS. Scholefield says if those variances aren't granted, nothing from what was shown in the tour would change.
"It shouldn't, we're on a time line to get all of the necessary zoning variances, other things need to be put in place before they can give the final approval but we expect that to happen in September."
Scholefield says they hope to start construction by the end of the year.
- MVHS hosted an event with guided tours of the downtown hospital footprint
- MVHS acquires another property in downtown Utica hospital footprint
- MVHS gathers downtown hospital supporters
- Demolition begins within downtown hospital footprint
- MVHS to host informational sessions on downtown hospital project
- MVHS unveils downtown Utica hospital exterior design
- MVHS has finalized site plan for new downtown Utica hospital
- NewsTalk: Bob Scholefield of MVHS talks downtown hospital
- MVHS officials provide update on downtown hospital project
- MVHS secures funding needed for downtown hospital project