The Mohawk Valley Health System has announced they’ll be closing the surgical center at the Faxton Campus.
NEWSChannel 2 received several inquiries from employees at the surgical center who were told Thursday they would be laid off, and we reached out to MVHS officials to confirm the closure. MVHS then sent out a news release with more information.
MVHS currently has surgery units at Faxton Campus, the St. Luke’s Campus and the St. Elizabeth Medical Center. MVHS officials say the health system has experienced a decrease in the number of outpatient surgeries and procedures due to the opening of other local ambulatory surgical centers, which has contributed to the decision to close the Faxton surgical center.
Health system officials estimate the timing for the transition to be between three and six months, and they say they’re working on a transition plan for the 44 full- and part-time employees who will be impacted.
“In recent years the ambulatory surgery center at the Faxton Campus has limited its outpatient surgery schedule to just three days a week,” said Robert Scholefield, executive vice president and COO for MVHS. “We have not needed to use the facility full-time. Even with this change we will continue to meet the surgical needs of our community by providing ongoing inpatient and outpatient surgery at our two main campuses, St. Luke’s and St. Elizabeth.”
Employees say they expect to receive new information from MVHS officials next week.
- MVHS to close surgical center at Faxton Campus
- Herkimer College closing campus children's center
- CMN 2018 Thanks Faxton St. Luke's Hospital Medical Staff
- Utica mayor presents $15,050 to MVHS Breast Care Center
- Luncheon raises $20K in donations for MVHS Breast Care Center
- MVHS Purchase option agreement deadline
- MVHS gathers downtown hospital supporters
- CMN 2018 Thanks MVHS Volunteers
- MVHS chooses new President/CEO
- NewsTalk: MVHS Dialysis Job Fair