Mohawk Valley Health System on Friday unveiled the exterior design of Utica's downtown hospital. Principal Ryan Hullinger, of architectural firm, NBBJ, out of Ohio, was in Utica Friday and provided a PowerPoint presentation and narrative about the hospital.
"We actually begin with an understanding of what the needs are for the hospital, how many patients they're seeing per day, how many of each type of room they're going to need to have on site, and then with that, what we call a program, we have the genesis for actually starting to design the architecture," said Ryan Hullinger. When in Utica, the architect stayed in a hotel near the hospital footprint, and says that helped inspire the design of the 373-bed, 672,000 square-foot hospital.
"After a day of meetings, being able to walk out the door and walk the site and really understand its textures and its contours, hugely beneficial for the design team," said Hullinger. He says the design team borrowed charachteristics of nearby, historic buildings in the city.
There were about 90 user meetings and roughly 100 community meetings during which archtects gleaned input from both groups. Countless hours, spent poring over textures, materials and colors lead to today's design.
"Tweaking, tweaking absolutely tweaking. This was not a one and done. The shape of the building, it went through probably about six or seven different shapes, before we settled on the shape that it is. The exterior materials, there was numerous different options for the exterior," said MVHS Executive VP and COO, Robert Scholefield.
Next, MVHS will unveil the room designs. Those won't be renderings on easels, but actual mock-up rooms, built on MVHS property off-site.
"An emergency room, a procedure room, a medical surgical bedroom, an ICU bedroom and an operating room. Each one of those spaces is built to scale, the exact same size and shape, and the staff actually work in those spaces with the equipment to make sure everything is where it needs to be," said Scholefield.
- MVHS unveils downtown Utica hospital exterior design
- MVHS gathers downtown hospital supporters
- MVHS unveils partial hospital site plans
- MVHS has finalized site plan for new downtown Utica hospital
- MVHS acquires another property in downtown Utica hospital footprint
- Downtown Utica property owners get offer letters from MVHS
- MVHS to host informational sessions on downtown hospital project
- NewsTalk: Bob Scholefield of MVHS talks downtown hospital
- MVHS officials provide update on downtown hospital project
- MVHS secures funding needed for downtown hospital project