STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

MVHS unveils partial hospital site plans

Officials with Mohawk Valley Health System on Thursday unveiled site plans for the downtown Utica hospital. MVHS last week submitted their 400+ page certificate of need to New York State.

Posted: Nov 16, 2017 4:20 PM
Updated: Nov 17, 2017 9:08 AM

Officials with Mohawk Valley Health System on Thursday unveiled site plans for the downtown Utica hospital.

MVHS last week submitted their 400+ page certificate of need to New York State. The document is required for the project to move forward. In order to submit the certificate, MVHS had to have at least 30% of their construction drawings completed. That's what they unveiled Thursday.


Photo courtesy of the Mohawk Valley Health System

Photo courtesy of the Mohawk Valley Health System


"It's about 670,000 square feet right now, again, not finally designed. To put in perspective for people, it's about 50% larger than the St. Luke's Hospital is right now," said MVHS President and CEO, Scott Perra. "It's being programmed for just a little over 370 inpatient beds, all private rooms, which is different from if you come to any of our existing facilities.....we won't be moving people around because, you know, we have a male patient in the ER who needs a bed, but only a female bed opens so our staff spends lots of time figuring out who can we move where and when and what floor?"

Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente, Jr. says the magnitude of the project is unlike anything the area has seen in more than a century.

"We are going to see the beginning of what is the greatest project that this community has seen in probably 100 years...probably 200 since the Erie Canal," said Picente.

Picente also said the new, state-of-the-art facility won't only be a place to treat the sick, but a recruitment magnet for industry.

"When a site selector comes in, they want to see, 'so if I locate here, where's the hospital? If my people get injured, where do they go?'" said Picente.

The current, 30% complete design plans are the result of more than 100 public meetings and forums and input from hundreds of people. MVHS officials say there will be ample opportunity for the public to weigh in on the remaining 70% of the hospital's design, including the entire exterior.

Groundbreaking on the new hospital will be in 2019, with a completion date of 2022.

The next steps of the process include:

- December 7, 2017: Members of the public are invited to attend one of two Community Forums to learn more about the site plan. MVHS will host two sessions: 2 p.m. and again at 5:30 p.m. at the Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre in Utica.
- 2018: The MVHS team will begin the permitting process with the State Environmental Quality Review (SEQR) to identity and mitigate project impacts; the design team will continue to develop the site plan along with the character of the campus landscape; the MVHS design team will develop the interior and exterior character of the project.
- 2019: MVHS Integrated Health Campus ground breaking.

New York Coronavirus Cases

County data is updated nightly.

Cases: 2392060

Reported Deaths: 55066
CountyCasesDeaths
Kings31909610743
Queens30607510153
Suffolk2281703519
Nassau2071043257
Bronx2021556693
New York1619224606
Westchester1409342328
Erie992591884
Richmond858401905
Monroe782541156
Orange54619887
Rockland50943769
Onondaga45981715
Dutchess33827485
Albany28513368
Oneida25899552
Niagara22183383
Broome21898385
Saratoga18468191
Ulster16373271
Schenectady15325216
Rensselaer13364154
Putnam1187096
Chautauqua10980157
Oswego9667101
Chemung9112146
St. Lawrence8975118
Ontario856998
Steuben8489160
Cayuga7942101
Sullivan782781
Jefferson752171
Wayne701378
Cattaraugus675098
Genesee6097131
Herkimer6030117
Tompkins597459
Clinton571634
Madison542698
Fulton532197
Livingston520467
Montgomery5112133
Cortland484070
Warren472576
Columbia4664108
Tioga443467
Chenango421286
Otsego417751
Allegany403893
Greene397283
Washington396763
Wyoming392354
Orleans367784
Franklin356416
Lewis321836
Delaware309041
Seneca248959
Schoharie208320
Essex195129
Yates140726
Schuyler128916
Hamilton4083
Unassigned13533
Out of NY0291
Utica
Partly Cloudy
66° wxIcon
Hi: 64° Lo: 50°
Feels Like: 66°
Oneonta
Partly Cloudy
61° wxIcon
Hi: 62° Lo: 48°
Feels Like: 61°
Herkimer
Partly Cloudy
66° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 66°
Old Forge
Mostly Cloudy
66° wxIcon
Hi: 58° Lo: 49°
Feels Like: 66°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather
NEW Game Day Deals each week
Follow the 2021 Go the Distance Team - sponsored by Gilroy Kernan & Gilroy
Chapter Photofacial Therapy Giveaway
Looking for work or looking to hire? Check out the WKTV Job Fair!
Saluting Those Who Are Proud 2 Serve