UTICA, N.Y. – Mohawk Valley Health System has updated its visitation policies, after the state announced hospitals and group homes could start allowing visitors for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic began.
Following state guidance, MVHS implemented restrictions in March that limited the number of visitors and added visitation requirements at its medical offices and hospitals.
Hospital officials say visitors will be provided a mask to wear, and will be asked to leave the facility if they fail to or refuse to wear a mask.
Hospital visiting hours for inpatient units will be held from 3 – 7 p.m. every day, under the following guidelines:
- Each visit is limited to one person at a time for a maximum of four hours per day. Only two visitors, in total, are permitted during the four hours of visitation per day.
- Visitors will have their temperature taken and be asked about symptoms. Visitors will be denied entry if they report significant COVID-19 exposure or symptoms during the prior 14 days or have a temperature of 100 degrees or higher.
- Visitors will be instructed in appropriate hand hygiene.
- Visitors must maintain social distancing of six feet, even in patient rooms.
- A visitor must remain in the patient room, unless otherwise directed by the staff.
- Patients who are positive for COVID-19 or are under investigation for COVID-19, will not be allowed visitors, unless there are special circumstances as defined by the NYS Department of Health, including:
- Patients in labor, delivery, and the remainder of the patients’ admission.
- Pediatric patients.
- Patients who have a medically-necessary support person essential to their care, including patients with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities and patients with cognitive impairments, including dementia.
- Patients in immediate end-of-life situations.
- All visitors must be older than 18 years of age except for previously documented exceptions.
A no-visitor policy remains in effect for the behavioral health units at MVHS hospitals, and cafeterias are open to employees only.
All visitors will also be provided with a page of guidelines that include information on hand hygiene, wearing a mask, practicing social distancing and contact information for questions.