Heading into the final week of the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, it looks like biathlete Maddie Phaneuf of Old Forge will not be competing.
Last week, Phaneuf announced she wouldn’t be competing in the women’s 15K individual biathlon after she woke up with a scratchy throat and it turned out to be strep. At that time, Phaneuf said there was a chance she could be able to race in the women’s relay biathlon, which is scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday.
Early Monday morning local time, Phaneuf wrote on her Facebook page, “Racing here at the Olympics seems less probable than ever. My sickness hasn't really let up much, and it's hard to come to terms with that. I'm disappointed and sad, but sometimes things just don't go as planned, no matter how hard you try.”
Phaneuf said the setback has only motivated her further, and she hopes to finally make her Olympic debut four years from now at the next Winter Olympics.
- Maddie Phaneuf will likely not compete in women's relay biathlon
- Old Forge native Maddie Phaneuf to compete in biathlon Wednesday
- Strep throat takes Maddie Phaneuf out of women's individual biathlon
- Old Forge welcomes home Maddie Phaneuf
- Old Forge native Maddie Phaneuf qualifies for U.S. Olympic Biathlon Team
- When to watch local Olympians Erin Hamlin, Maddie Phaneuf
- Maddie Phaneuf's Olympic race postponed due to weather
- Maddie Phaneuf to host community reception at McCauley Mountain on Sunday
- Mug Club: Relay Night
- Boston, other marathons say trans women can compete as women