UTICA, N.Y. -- Omar Ortiz, the man accused of killing Deon Williams in Utica last summer, appeared in court once again Tuesday.
More information has been released about what allegedly happened on June 28 on Bleecker Street from police who responded to the scene.
In court, they explained the process of what lead them to Omar Ortiz as their suspect.
The first witness called to testify was Utica Police Sergeant Armstrong, who was called to the scene and talked to witnesses. He also was responsible for checking record, developing arrays of photos of the suspect.
He said he picked four different arrays of Ortiz to show witnesses, and he was ultimately chosen.
The next witness called at the Huntley hearing was Utica Police Department Investigator Shawn Rutty. He was the investigator who helped secure scene and interview witnesses. A witness to the killing, Ortiz’s grandfather, was one of the witnesses shown photos of the suspect.
Former UPD Investigator Aaron Donaldson was the next to testify in the hearing – he was the one to respond to the shots fired call He says he went to the back of the residence and saw the victim – dead. The district attorney questioned the investigator about the process at the scene, and during cross examination described another witness claiming he was positive that Ortiz was at the scene of the argument.
The next witness was Utica Police Sergeant Michael Curly who responded to the scene and focused on the suspect and word that he was in Erie, Pennsylvania. He testified about the car description, who Ortiz was allegedly with and on security camera video from the scene.
Utica Police Investigator Jeremy VanHorne says he interviewed another witness, discussed the incident, and showed her the photo array – where she chose Ortiz as the suspect.
More witnesses will be called on February 1 at 10 a.m. The judge will determine what can be used at trial.
- Man accused in 2018 Bleecker Street homicide appears in court
- Man accused in Bleecker Street homicide appears in court
- Trial for man accused in Bleecker Street homicide starts Monday
- Man found guilty on all counts in 2018 Bleecker Street homicide
- Utica Police: Bleecker Street homicide suspect arrested in Pennsylvania
- Mother of baby found on Bleecker Street appears in court, pleads not guilty
- UPDATE: Utica police ID man killed in Bleecker Street shooting
- More time to decide on plea in Bleecker Street homicide case
- Utica man accused of John Street stabbing death appears in court
- 2 facing felony drug charges following Bleecker Street search