ONEONTA, N.Y. -- Gabriel Truitt, the man accused in the arson death of a former Oneonta firefighter, has fired his attorney and now has a public defender representing him.
His new attorney is not prepared to comment as he just got the case.
In May, Truitt was offered a chance to plead guilty to second-degree murder – in the December arson death of former Oneonta firefighter John Heller.
Heller died while trying to get his relatives out of the house while it was on fire.
Truitt is due to answer to that plea offer Friday.
The Heller family told WKTV crews they were too upset to comment.
The district attorney has since requested the highest bail ever for Otsego County – $1 million cash or $2 million bond.
- Man accused in arson death of former Oneonta firefighter fires attorney
- Arson: Arrest made in connection with death of former Oneonta firefighter
- Former firefighter killed in Oneonta fire
- Witness claims he talked to Oneonta arson suspect following fire
- Search underway for man accused in Oneonta fatal fire
- Police set sights on different suspect in Oneonta deadly arson
- Oneonta arson, murder suspect arrested following police search
- Oneonta house gutted by fire
- SUNY Oneonta announces death of freshman student
- Oneonta man accused of threatening girlfriend with shotgun while drunk