UTICA – The man accused of beating his girlfriend to death last month in Utica was arraigned on a murder charge on Monday.
Brian Brewczynski, 32, is charged with second-degree murder in connection to 49-year-old Cheri Saupp’s death. Brewczynski was initially charged with first-degree manslaughter, but the charge was upgraded to second-degree murder last week after evidence was presented to an Oneida County grand jury.
Brewczynski appeared in Oneida County Court Monday with a public defender representing him, and a not guilty plea was entered.
On May 18, police were called to 608 William St. where they found Saupp unconscious, and she was then taken to St. Elizabeth Medical Center where she was pronounced dead. An investigation into her death found that Saupp died of head injuries.
Brewczynski, who is from Herkimer but was living with Saupp in Utica at the time, was arraigned on a manslaughter charge the following week.
It was a packed courtroom on Monday with many members of Saupp’s family in attendance, as well as friends and coworkers.
The prosecution handed over all of the evidence to the defense in order to prepare for a potential trial. The prosecution gave the defense two DVDs with recordings of Brewczynski’s statements to police after Saupp’s death, as well as written statements from Brewczynski and cell phone evidence.
The prosecution has not yet offered Brewczynski a formal plea deal, so the case has been adjourned until next week. The Oneida County District Attorney’s Office will present Brewczynski with a plea offer on June 18, and if no decision is made by then, the case will go to motions on July 9. During motions arguments will take place to determine what evidence will be included in the trial, who should or shouldn’t testify, or if the case should be dismissed altogether.
Brewczynski’s bail remains set at $100,000.
- Man accused of killing girlfriend arraigned on murder charge
- Charge upgraded to murder for man accused of killing girlfriend in Utica
- UPDATE: Robert Coffin arraigned on second-degree murder charge
- Utica firefighter accused of lewd act arraigned on several charges
- Utica man accused of killing girlfriend's baby appears in court
- Man accused of killing girlfriend in Utica misses court appearance
- Weinstein arraigned on rape, other sex charges
- Dolgeville man accused of assaulting ex-girlfriend
- Oneonta man accused of threatening girlfriend with shotgun while drunk
- Utica man sentenced to prison time for killing girlfriend's baby