UTICA, N.Y. -- Utica police have confirmed the identity of the man found dead behind a building on Kossuth Avenue and Jay Street in Utica, Saturday.
The 27-year-old's grieving family says he is a victim of the opioid epidemic that's gripping the country.
Friends and family, including two small children, mourn Pedro Bermudez. His family, in his obituary, said he had battled addiction for years.
A person discovered Bermudez's body behind an East Utica building Saturday afternoon and called 911.
Utica police say the medical examiner's office is waiting for toxicology results to confirm drug involvement in his death.
They've not yet officially declared it an overdose.
- Man found dead on Kossuth Avenue in Utica was battling addiction
- Man walking on Kossuth Avenue shot in leg, investigation underway
- UPD not ruling Kossuth Avenue death as suspicious
- UPD investigating body found behind a building on Kossuth Ave.
- One shot near the corner of Kossuth Avenue and South Street
- Officials ID Herkimer woman found dead in West Lake Avenue home
- Missing man found dead in Oneonta
- Little Falls man found dead in Vermont
- More funding for Utica Rescue Mission's Addiction Stabilization Center
- Judge rules in Utica term limit battle