Utica, N.Y. - Jim Griffith of Rome has served as an Oneida County Family Court Judge since he was first elected in 1999, and on Tuesday he hopes to be elected to a third ten year term. His opponent, Jessica Reynolds Amuso, believes it's time for change on the bench.
On Friday, we caught up with both candidates to give voters a little insight on their backgrounds.
Hon. Griffith, a Republican, says the family court judge position is one of the most important jobs in the entire county, "Those of us who work in family court, sometimes secretly or not so secretly, think it’s the most important court, it’s the court where people go when they really don’t have any place else to go."
Reynolds Amuso, a Democrat, says it's time for change and believes she is the right person to take the helm, "You know, he's been there for 20 years and I think there’s a certain point where maybe it’s time for some fresh ears and fresh eyes up there to work with the families."
Amuso says she has been representing local families in all sorts of family court cases for the past 20 years. Griffith has been hearing family court cases for those same 20 years, plus he practiced law for many years before that.
Griffith says judges races in general do not receive the attention many other races see during election season, "Because there is a lot of civility in the judges races, and we're not making outrageous statements about each other that grab everyone's attention."
Both candidates say they're hoping for a good turnout come Tuesday.
- Meet the candidates for Oneida County Family Court Judge
- Republican Paul Deep wins Oneida County Family Court judge race
- Oneida County Executive Candidates Debate
- Oneida County Dems looking for Legislature candidates
- Reynolds-Amuso announces candidacy for Oneida Co. Family Court judge race
- Democratic candidate emerges in Oneida County Executive race
- Long-time family court Judge John Flemma dies
- Former Oneida County STOP DWI coordinator back in court
- Rochester man sentenced in Oneida County court for attempted murder
- Rabies Clinics in Oneida County