WILMINGTON, N.Y. (AP) - A Toronto firefighter who was the subject of a massive six-day search involving eight government agencies at an Adirondack ski center has been located safe and sound - in California.
Authorities launched a search for 49-year-old skier Constantinos "Danny" Filippidis on Whiteface Mountain last Wednesday afternoon after his companions reported him missing. State police said Tuesday the search was called off when Filippidis contacted local authorities in Sacramento, California.
Officials say more than 140 people spent a combined 7,000 hours searching the rugged mountain terrain, calling in helicopters and search dogs to assist.
Filippidis was part of a group of Toronto firefighters making their annual ski trip to Whiteface. Police say the circumstances of the case are under investigation.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Missing Adirondacks skier found safe in California
- Adirondack Community Pride Day
- Update: Missing Herkimer Girl Found Safe
- Missing Oneonta woman found safe in Binghamton
- Mug Club: Adirondack Scenic Railroad
- Adirondack Food and Fuel progress
- UPDATE: Missing baby from Amber Alert found safe
- UPDATE: Missing New York Mills man found safe
- UPDATE: Missing man in town of Westford found safe
- UPDATE: Missing autistic man in Fulton County found safe