MOHAWK - On Saturday morning a single stall garage fire broke out in Mohawk. According to the Mohawk Fire Department the fully involved fire broke out around 9:30 a.m., and was under control within twenty minutes. The garage fully burned to the ground, leaving the owner and neighbor Anthony Palmitesso with extensive damage.
“I woke up to a big explosion and my house basically shook like an earth quake was going on,” said Palmitesso. “I looked outside in my driveway and didn’t see anything but I looked at my neighbors and everyone was out there.”
Palmitesso then knew his house could be in danger when he saw the glow of the flames.
“I ran outside to make sure my neighbors were okay, then I ran inside incase I needed to start moving my belongings.”
Luckily Palmitesso’s house did not set on fire. However, the exterior of his vinyl siding was completely melted, resulting in what could be thousands of dollars in damage.
“The flames were so hot from their property it just started melting the siding off my house,” said Palmitesso. “Obviously it’s a sad day for everybody but it is just stuff and that can be replaced.”
According to officials, two cars were damaged in the fire with one being completely burned. While battling the fire an explosion occurred with a white Dodge Ram truck. Fire crews tell WKTV, an airbag exploded due to the heat, blowing out the front windshield of the truck.
The investigation of the fire is closed, with the cause being undetermined.
- Mohawk garage fire melts house siding
- Mug Club: Mohawk Fire Department Open House
- Trailer Fire in Mohawk
- Middleville Garage Fire Destroys Home
- Mohawk Fire Department holding open house, looking for volunteers
- Blandina Street garage fire under investigation
- Garage destroyed by fire in Lowville
- Garage Fire in Poland is under investigation
- Mohawk Graduate Jarvis honored
- Red Cross helping 3 following Mohawk fire