ALBANY, N.Y. -- Businesses and localities in the Mohawk Valley were awarded a combined $82.7 million from the Regional Economic Development Council on Thursday for 81 community development projects. A total of $429.8 million was allocated throughout the state to support projects that will boost economic development in New York.
"Throughout the Regional Economic Development Council process over the past nine years, we have seen unprecedented regional investment focusing on a ground-up, strategic model that has spurred tremendous growth in every corner of this great state,"” said Gov. Andrew Cuomo. "By bringing together local leaders and stakeholders who are invested in their communities we have replaced the 'one size fits all' approach to economic development with one that is unique to each community, creating opportunities for success all across the Empire State."
Sovena USA in Rome received $950,000 to add 83,500 square feet to the warehouse for storage and shipping/receiving areas. The company says the expansion will allow for more efficient production, leading to a project 28% growth in sales.
Funding will also go to the Feldmeier Equipment expansion project in Little Falls. The company has been awarded $2.5 million to add nearly 90,000 square feet of production space. Some of the money will also e used to purchase automated equipment.
Other local projects receiving funding include:
- City of Rome: $1 million to implement improvements to the Water Pollution Control Facility.
- Collins Aerospace in Rome: More than $4 million for new machines and digital technologies.
- Community Foundation of Herkimer and Oneida Counties: $2 million to develop the Utica Free Academy Impact Center.
- Griffiss Local Development Corporation: Receives $2.7 million for an expansion project at an information security firm.
- Masonic Medical Research Institute: $1.2 million for third phase of renovation project.
For more information on the projects which were awarded funds from the council, click here.
- Mohawk Valley awarded $82.7M from Regional Economic Development Council
- New York to announce economic development awards
- Panel discussion promotes economic growth in the Mohawk Valley
- YEAR IN REVIEW: Economic Development
- Mug Club: Mohawk Valley Reading Council Author Talk
- NY awards nearly $30M for Mohawk Valley water infrastructure improvements
- Mohawk Valley Edge honors 6 local companies at award ceremony
- Mohawk Valley awarded $1.6M to support clean water projects
- Mohawk Valley recognizes Good Friday
- State's economic development chief defends Cuomo's projects