Team USA arrived Wednesday morning to the Mohawk Valley, they've had a full schedule including an orientation tour of the Whitestown Community Center and Ice Rink.
That's where the team will hold a preseason contest against well-known, local hockey players on Saturday. Tickets are $7 and all proceeds will benefit the USA Blind Hockey team. The game is from 7:30-9 p.m. Fans will be able to meet the players after the game.
The training camp is designed to teach players how to play hockey, orientate themselves in a locker room and on the ice and how to represent a national team.
UC hockey's Zach Borsoi and CABVI's Vice President Kathy Beaver played a key role in this new-found hockey partnership.
"So what better fit for us as a blindness agency to bring the team to central New York," said Beaver. "We're also Hockeyville USA. We can support this team. So I pulled in many partners. This community has been phenomenally gracious toward us, supportive in bringing the team here so they're here from today until Sunday."
After getting settled on Wednesday, the team will be right back at the rink Thursday morning for practice, then a scrimmage in the evening against players from New Hartford. Then they'll take on players from Whitesboro on Friday.
These scrimmages are closed to the public as they players get acclimated with the rink but everyone is encouraged to attend Saturday's game.
- Mohawk Valley welcomes USA Blind Hockey team for training camp
- USA Blind Hockey team back "home" for second annual training camp
- Area hockey fans get the first look at USA Blind Hockey team
- Mohawk Valley Welcomes Veterans for Free Picnic
- Mohawk Valley recognizes Good Friday
- 29 new recruits begin training at Mohawk Valley Police Academy
- Mohawk Valley Latino Association holds annual gala
- Mohawk Valley Water Authority Talks Freezing Pipes
- Dangerous travel conditions in the Mohawk Valley
- Newstalk: Mohawk Valley Community Action Agency