Officer Robert Johnson from the Department of Environmental Conservation is using an unmanned aerial system to record ice build-up along the Fish Creek. State Emergency Management is using the footage for situational awareness. They’re monitoring the creek for any changes in the ice. Should they see the potential for flooding, action can be taken to evacuate the area.
Ryan Wickham lives near Fish Creek and thinks something else has to be done.
"My concerns now are still that ice jam that’s there. With the water still coming, the rain we had the other day, the warm temperatures, and then the warm temperatures coming again. If that ice jam doesn’t move it’s just going to do the same thing unless they free it up, but I don’t believe they’re going to do that."
Cook Road runs parallel to Fish Creek. As you drive along you can see field after field completely submerged from the flooding. Wickham is concerned that if there’s another ice break the water is going to have nowhere to go.
"I don’t think we could do anything. If the water comes again it’s just going to come because it came from here plus also it came I believe down that way a little bit too on the creek. It came across cause all that’s filled in too water. From the canal I believe it even came over."
Oneida County Emergency Services doesn’t believe there’s any eminent threat from fish creek as the water continues to flow at a steady rate, but they do have an emergency evacuation plan in place should there be an ice break. State and County officials will continue to monitor the creek and surrounding waters for any movements.
- Monitoring Ice Jams
- Flooding and Ice Jams Possible Friday
- Low risk for ice jams this weekend
- UPDATE: Ice jam cleared on Sauquoit Creek in Whitesboro
- DEC to survey ice jam on Fish Creek Wednesday
- Ice jams cause flooding in town of Danube
- Crews breaking up ice jams to prevent Sauquoit Creek flooding
- Book Jam at Handshake City
- Ice jams in Indian Creek pose flooding concerns for Little Falls residents
- Super Jam returns to Sylvan Beach