NEW YORK (AP) - The driver of a New York City tandem bus that plunged off a bridge this week is blaming the dramatic crash on mechanical failure. Everton Beccan told reporters Saturday that he took a drug and alcohol test. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is pushing back. It says Beccan refused to provide a urine sample to the agency three times at the hospital. Beccan has been suspended without pay. He offered a harrowing account of Thursday's crash. He says passengers were screaming as the front half of the articulated bus plunged onto a ramp. The other half remained on the bridge. Seven passengers were injured.
Yellow buoys that a New York police officer said were suspending a helicopter that crashed on the East River float next to a NYPD police boat at a pier in New York on Sunday, March 11, 2018. (AP Photo/Andres Kudacki)
Bus driver in dramatic bridge plunge says it 'just took off'.
Posted: Jan 17, 2021 10:36 AM
- Bus drives off bridge in NYC
- Weather severely hampers NYC air travel
- Islamic State cooperator sentenced in NYC
- Central New Yorkers participate in NYC Stairclimb
- NYC mayor: Hospitals need more supplies
- Cuomo reinstates indoor dining restrictions in NYC
- Applications almost due for annual Stuff the Bus toy drive
- Higginsville Bridge Concerns
- Bridge removed, Canal Reopened
Scroll for more content...