CLINTON – Hamilton College is dealing with a norovirus outbreak on campus as more than 50 students have been sick with symptoms of the virus, according to a news release sent out by the college on Wednesday.
College officials say that on Monday evening, a notice was sent out to the campus letting them know that an increased number of students were experiencing intestinal sickness, and an update the next afternoon confirmed the presence of norovirus.
Norovirus caused inflammation in the stomach or intestines or both, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The most common symptoms are diarrhea, throwing up, nausea and stomach pain, and other symptoms include fever, headache and body aches. It can also lead to dehydration.
Norovirus is highly contagious and can be spread by sharing food or drinks with someone infected by norovirus, touching surfaces or objects contaminated with the virus and then putting your fingers in your mouth, or having contact with someone infected with norovirus.
Hamilton College says that Facilities Management personnel on Wednesday began disinfecting residence hall bathrooms and common area, and they provided disinfectant wipes to residence halls and offices throughout campus. Students and staff were also told to disinfect things such as doorknobs, computer keyboards, desktops, wooden armchairs and other surfaces.
The college says the two dining halls, the diner and the on-campus pub will be closed on a rotating basis for special cleaning.
For more information, you can view the full news release here.
- More than 50 students affected by norovirus outbreak at Hamilton College
- Hamilton College officials disinfect campus, search for norovirus outbreak source
- New cases of norovirus at Hamilton College slowing down, but still present
- Hamilton College graduates hundreds
- Hamilton College students help make a difference
- Hamilton College Students launch weather balloon.
- Lava rocks at Hamilton College
- Hamilton College host 207th Commencement
- Hamilton College student injured in car-pedestrian accident
- Student shocked after finding snake in Hamilton College dorm room