WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (AP) - State police say one person has died and one is seriously injured after several crashes involving numerous vehicles on the snowy New York State Thruway east of Buffalo.
Troopers say all lanes are blocked between Exit 50 and Exit 48A at Pembroke going into the evening rush hour Tuesday.
Trooper Michael Cassella in Albany says 15 to 25 cars and 10 tractor-trailers were involved in a series of collisions starting shortly before 2 p.m. Tuesday. He says weather was a contributing factor.
Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said seven volunteer fire departments were at the scene and hundreds of cars were backed up.
Gusty wind with blowing and drifting snow has prompted blizzard warnings for northern Erie County overnight.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Multiple crashes close snowy Thruway east of Buffalo
- Our snowy week continues...
- Schuyler tractor-trailer fire closes one lane of Thruway
- West Point honors Buffalo Soldiers.
- Snowy start to the weekend
- UPDATE: Syracuse man killed in Verona Thruway crash
- UPDATE: Thruway reopened between exits 33, 34 following crash
- Tractor-trailer crash ends in fire, Thruway traffic impacted
- Truck driver dead following Thruway crash in German Flatts
- Utica woman charged with DWI after crashing car on Thruway