UTICA - Stark Street and McVean Street in West Utica were closed Wednesday night through Thursday morning after a propane leak prompted the evacuation of several homes.
NEWSChannel 2 was on Warren Street overnight where a strong chemical smell was noticable in the air. That smell was later confirmed to be propane.
According to Oneida County 911, the leak happened around 9:00 p.m. near Bick and Heinz Incorporated.
Utica Fire Department crews responded to the scene, where they found a 3,000 gallon propane tank leaking. Firefighters evacuated nearly 20 houses Wednesday night, as a cloud of propane gas was wafting through the air.
Firefighters spent the night working to control the leak. The streets were not reopened until Thursday morning.
Utica Fire Chief Scott Ingersoll told NEWSChannel 2 firefighters worked to burn the fire out as they kept neighbors a safe distance away. He took the opportunity to reassure residents the situation was under control.
Stay with NEWSChannel 2 and WKTV.com for additional information throughout the day on Thursday.