UTICA, N.Y. -- Longtime WKTV News/Sports Anchor Jason Powles will assume a new role on Nov. 18 as he becomes the anchor of NEWSChannel 2’s late evening newscasts.
In this new position, Powles will produce and anchor NEWSChannel 2 at 10 p.m. on the CW and NEWSChannel 2 at 11 p.m. Powles takes over for Don Shipman, who left the station this past April.
“Jason has spent more than two decades at NewsChannel 2 in multiple roles, and has been an integral part of the station’s success,” said Steve McMurray, WKTV vice president and general manager. “You’d be hard-pressed to find anyone more dedicated or passionate about the newsroom, the station and the community as a whole.”
As part of this new role, Powles will co-anchor the Live at Five Newshour and NewsChannel 2 at 6 p.m. with veteran anchor Kristen Copeland. Powles will also continue to play a vital role in the station’s special projects including the Boilermaker and America’s Greatest Heart Run and Walk.
“I’m very excited to take the next step in my career here at WKTV. It has been an honor and privilege to broadcast the news for the last 23 years. I look forward to my new role as evening anchor where I will continue to tell the stories that matter the most to our viewers,” said Powles.
“Jason is an experienced journalist with a passion for local news, and he has been a key figure in the newsroom throughout his long tenure with NEWSChannel 2. We are excited for him to take this new step in his career,” said WKTV News Director Jeremy Ryan.
Powles started at WKTV in 1996 as weekend sports anchor before moving to the Sports Director role in 1998. He held that position until 2012 when he became the co-anchor of NewsChannel 2 at Daybreak and Sunrise.
Powles is a Rotterdam native and graduate of the College of St. Rose. He lives in Sauquoit with his wife and two children.
- NEWSChannel 2's Jason Powles takes on new role as evening anchor
- Our Jason Powles helps capture beautiful post-Boilermaker proposal
- Live Boilermaker updates from NEWSChannel 2 crews
- NewsChannel 2 at Noon: December 5, 2018
- NEWSChannel 2 gets exclusive look inside Irish Cultural Center
- A community remembers Jason Pomeroy
- CBS News names new evening anchor, revamps morning show
- UPDATE: NEWSChannel 2 confirms name of Sherrill officer who resigned after shots fired investigation
- Family members hold memorial service for Rome native, Jason Westcott
- Jason D'Avolio in court, pleads not guilty to wife's murder