Both candidates in the hotly-contested, tight race for the 22nd district congressional seat racked up big endorsements on Monday, hoping the heavyweights behind them would translate into votes, come next Tuesday.
First, the New York State Professional Firefighters Association endorsed Democratic challenger, Anthony Brindisi, at central fire station, on Bleecker Street, in Utica. Alongside the association officials from around the state, stood labor leaders.
"It's very important to me to have the endorsements of men and women of labor because they are out there every day, fighting for us. They need representatives in Washington right now, standing up for them," said Brindisi.
Monday afternoon, NRA President, Marine Corps Lt. Colonol (ret.) Oliver North came to the Vernon National Shooting Preserve, in Vernon Center, to campaign for Republican Incumbent, Claudia Tenney. Colonel North cautioned that allowing Democrats to take over the house would mean giving control to certain Democratic investors who have a very specific agenda.
"Their agenda is one, plan to capture control of the Congress of the United States; number two, impeach the president; number three, destroy the NRA and number four, repeal the second amendment. That's their goal," said the Colonel.
But, why deliver the message to a roomfull of gun owners and enthusiasts who'd have likely voted for Tenney, anyway?
"To a very large extent, gun owners don't vote. They just kind of assume it's gonna be ok," said North. "What we're here to do is encourage everybody that is in that room and everybody we talked to all day long today, to go out and find gun owners who think the 2nd amendment is at great risk. And it truly is."
Aware of the pending endorsement of his opponent, Brindisi on Monday morning expressed satisfaction and gratitude toward his supporters.
"I'm very happy to be here in this firehouse today, standing with our local firefighters from all across the congressional district, standing with the men and women in our building trades, our healthcare worrkers, our teachers. I'd rather be standing with them."
- NRA Pres. endorses Tenney; NYS Professional Firefighters back Brindisi in 22nd
- Tenney, Brindisi talk campaign sign damage in 22nd Congressional race
- Rematch in the 22nd district? Tenney plans to challenge Brindisi
- NewsTalk: 22nd Congressional District Candidate Claudia Tenney
- Rep. Tenney and Assem. Brindisi face off in 22nd congressional district debate
- New 22nd Congressional District vote total cuts Brindisi's lead over Tenney
- Union representing Remington Arms workers endorses Tenney
- NewsTalk: 22nd Congressional District Candidate Anthony Brindisi
- Tenney, Brindisi respond to Dodd-Frank rollbacks
- Brindisi, Tenney, to work together in transition