FRANKFORT, N.Y. -- The New York State Canal Corporation is hard at work on the Erie Canal doing winter maintenance.
The canal corporation does this work in the winter to cause a minimal disturbance to boaters during the summer months.
The winter season is a busy season for crews to perform this work.
At Lock E-19 in Schuyler Wednesday, crews are working to remove a valve.
Crews are redoing electrical systems on the lock and putting in infrastructure to make way for better hydraulics as part of the overhaul.
“Now we're going to remove the valve frame along with the valve itself, bring it out, have it sandblasted, repainted and refurbished, so it's nice and tight for the season ahead,” said Tom Anglin, the Section 4 superintendent.
The hydraulics at the lock are being upgraded from what was used back in the 1960s – Lock 16 to 22.
- NY Canal Corporation working hard on Erie Canal winter maintenance
- Mug Club: Erie Canal Half
- Mug Club: Erie Canal Cruises
- Chicks Along the Canal
- Bridge removed, Canal Reopened
- Erie Canal Kids Run canceled due to weather concerns
- Hundreds run in the Erie Canal Half : A Boilermaker Event
- Erie Canal Bike Tour participants make pit stop in Rome
- Cuomo: State to invest $300M into Erie Canal redesign project
- Canal Corp. to host Frankfort meeting about canal trail project