ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Just in time for the holidays, New York state is launching a mobile app to help motorists navigate the state Thruway.
Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office announced the new program earlier this month. Available for free on iPhone and Android mobile devices, the app provides users with real-time traffic information as well as resources about services along the Thruway. It also has an option allowing motorists to report problems along the highway.
Its launch comes right during the Thanksgiving-Christmas holiday season, typically one of the busiest travel periods of the year on the 570-mile (917-kilometer) long Thruway.
Just don't use the app while driving, since it's illegal in New York to use a hand-held device while operating a vehicle.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- NY launches mobile app for Thruway travel
- 16 bridges rehabbed along NYS Thruway
- Fastrac launches 'Free Coffee Mondays' for mobile app users
- Boilermaker unveils new mobile app
- NY Thruway bridge tolls amnesty program collects $1M-plus
- NY State Police launch statewide drone program
- NY launching investigation into pregnancy discrimination
- NY state Senate launches vaccination push
- Big pot bust on the Thruway
- NY lawmakers mull sports betting on mobile devices