The man who was tried for his wife’s murder four times and ultimately acquitted has been arrested on DWI charges in Cortland County, according to New York State Police.
Calvin Harris, 56, of Owego, is charged with misdemeanor DWI with a blood alcohol content level of .13 percent, the violation of leaving the scene of a property damage accident, and other traffic violations.
Police say just before 8 p.m. Friday, troopers responded to a hit and run accident on Interstate 81 in the town of Preble, Cortland County. The person who reported it to 911 said a GMC Sierra pickup truck had sideswiped their vehicle while both vehicles were headed southbound on I-81, and they said the pickup truck continued southbound and then took Exit 12 off of the interstate.
Police say troopers were able to locate the vehicle and they stopped the truck driven by Harris in the town of Cortlandville. They say an investigation determined he was driving while intoxicated, and he was issued tickets returnable to Town of Preble Court on Jan. 9, 2018.
Harris was initially convicted of killing his estranged wife Michelle Harris after she disappeared in Sept. 2001. Her body was never found.
Harris’ conviction was later overturned, and his conviction in the second murder trial was overturned as well. His third trial ended with a deadlocked jury and then Harris waived his right to a jury for the fourth trial, which ended in a not guilty verdict.
Harris has since filed a federal lawsuit against police officers and other Tioga County officials, claiming that malicious prosecution and civil rights violations were made by county law enforcement officials. The lawsuit claims that police fabricated evidence and also kept a number of witnesses from testifying.
Harris was also previously arrested in Oneonta for allegedly videotaping the home of a state police investigator.
- Man acquitted in 4th trial for wife's murder now charged with DWI
- Man acquitted in killing of governor's aide
- Steuben judge resigns after dismissing DWI charge
- Utica police officer charged with DWI
- Traffic stop leads to aggravated DWI charge for Rome man
- Sherrill man charged with DWI in Verona crash
- Oswego County man rolls car over, charged with DWI
- Gloversville man charged with DWI after crashing ARC van
- Trenton man charged with aggravated DWI following 2-vehicle crash
- Utica man charged with DWI after fleeing traffic stop