The state canal system is set to open on Friday, but not in the local Mohawk Valley area.
From Scotia to Rome, the opening is postponed indefinitely due to high water from the heavy rain and snow melt.
Boaters will be able to access the western end of Oneida Lake, however, from Brewerton.
The director of the canal corporation says safety is the priority.
- NYS Canal System set to open Friday — but not for the Mohawk Valley
- Mohawk Valley recognizes Good Friday
- NY Canal Corporation working hard on Erie Canal winter maintenance
- NY awards nearly $30M for Mohawk Valley water infrastructure improvements
- The Grand Healthcare System acquires Mohawk Valley Nursing Home
- Toll-free trips for recreational boats on NY canals continue
- Chicks Along the Canal
- Mohawk Valley Community Action Agency celebrates opening of Ilion office
- Mohawk Valley warming stations open during bitterly cold weather
- Mohawk Valley Latino Association holds annual gala