National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day is observed annually on November 15. The timing is perfect for this day as Thanksgiving is coming soon.
Certified Nutrition Specialist Kim Ross, joined us live in studio to go over expiration dates, sell-by dates and use-by dates.
The “best by” or “use by” dates are applicable to unopened items. Once items are opened, then you should know how much time you have to use it for optional quality of the food and to prevent food poisoning or exposure to bacteria. For example, condiments last about 3-6 months once they are opened, regardless of what the best-by or use-by date states.
"Use By" or "Best by”
• Shelf stable items
• Likely to remain past this date if unopened
• Opened: best quality is used by this date
• Perishable items
• Retailers must take it off the shelf
• 1/3 of product shelf life remains past this date
• Always use by this date
Also, don’t forget that National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day should include a thorough cleaning. So be sure to use a safe, non-toxic cleaner on all shelves and drawers.
- National 'Clean out the Refrigerator Day"
- National Flip Flop Day
- It's National Waffle Day!
- It's national taco day!
- NEWSTALK: National Zoo Lover's Day
- Cleaning up from Thanksgiving
- Utica Zoo celebrates National Hedgehog Day
- Local students participate in National Walkout Day
- Things to consider on National Pet Day
- National Day of Service recognized locally