With a Tornado Watch, Severe Thunderstorm Watch and Wind Advisory in effect throughout the local region, National Grid is offering some tips to protect yourself and your home during a power outage.
Electricity & Generator Safety
- National Grid customers should call 1-800-867-5222 to report a power outage, or to report any downed wires.
- Customers are urged to stay away from all downed wires, and anything those wires might be touching like tree limbs or fencing.
- Generators used to supply power during an outage must be operated outdoors. Before operating a generator, be sure to disconnect from National Grid’s system by shutting off the main breaker, located in the electric service panel. Failure to do this could endanger restoration crews, first responders and your neighbors.
- Customers who depend on electrically powered life support equipment, such as a respirator, should register as a life support customer by calling National Grid at 1-800-642-4272. (In a medical emergency, always dial 911.)
- Keep a number of working flashlights and an extra supply of batteries in your home. Also, make sure to keep mobile devices charged.
- Please drive carefully and use caution when driving near any repair crews working to restore power.
- Be sure to check on elderly family members, neighbors and others who may need assistance during an outage.
- National Grid also advises staying tuned to local media for important announcements from emergency officials about possible evacuations or other emergency procedures. In most areas, information on storm shelter locations is available by calling 211.
National Grid offers several ways to stay informed and safe – before, during and after a storm:
- For real-time power outage information, online outage reporting, and in-depth storm safety information, visit the Outage Central section of www.nationalgridus.com. Customers who create an online profile on our website can also sign up for email alerts.
- To receive text message alerts and updates from National Grid, text the word STORM to NGRID (64743).
- Online and text alert services can be started and stopped at the customer’s request.
For the latest weather alerts, click here.
For the latest update on the tornado watch from Chief Meteorologist Bill Kardas, click here.
To follow the latest weather forecasts and maps, visit wktv.com/weather.
- National Grid offers tips to keep yourself and home safe during power outage
- UPDATE - National Grid reporting power outage in Utica area
- National Grid offers tips to save energy while keeping cool
- AT&T offers tips for safely disinfecting electronics
- High Wind Warning in effect for CNY; tips to stay safe during power outage
- Oneida County Sheriff's Office investigating National Grid phone scam
- National Grid could be penalized for Little Falls house explosion
- National Grid opens training facility in New Hartford
- Local experts offer home heating tips as winter approaches
- FASNY offers tips to avoid home fires this Thanksgiving