ALBANY, N.Y. – National Grid is reminding customers to take safety measures ahead of upcoming thunderstorms Friday afternoon.
The company has released the following tips:
- If a power outage occurs, customers can notify National Grid online at www.nationalgridus.com.
- Never touch downed power lines, and report them immediately to National Grid at 1-800-867-5222 or to your local emergency responders.
- Generators used to supply power during an outage must be operated outdoors to prevent the buildup of carbon monoxide. Before operating a generator, disconnect from National Grid’s system by shutting off the main breaker, located in the home’s electric service panel.
- Customers who depend on electrically powered life support equipment, such as a respirator, should register as a life support customer by calling National Grid at 1-800-642-4272.
- Keep a number of working flashlights and an extra supply of batteries at home, and make sure all electronic devices are charged.
- Drive carefully and use caution when driving near any crews working to restore power.
- Be sure to check on elderly family members, neighbors and others who may need assistance during an outage.
For information on power outages, online outage reporting, and in-depth storm safety information, visit the Outage Central section of the website.