During the snow storm that is expected to hit the area this weekend, National Grid is urging customers to use caution when it comes to gas leaks.
They want to ensure plowed snow does not pile up around the vents.
They say ice buildup around natural gas meters and pipes can pose safety risks, as does ice falling from a roof.
If there's a gas leak, get out of your home immediately.
Once you're in a safe environment call 911 and the 24-hour National Grid emergency number 1-800-892-2345.
They say the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the flu, and can include headaches, weakness, confusion, chest tightness, skin redness, dizziness, nausea, sleepiness, heart fluttering or loss of muscle control.
- National Grid urges customers to use caution to prevent gas leaks
- Crews urge caution during Herkimer road construction
- National Grid urging safety as stormy weather moves into Upstate NY
- Moose alert: Caution urged on Adirondack roads during rut
- New York health officials urge caution on pot legalization
- Oneida County Sheriff's Office investigating National Grid phone scam
- National Grid offers tips to save energy while keeping cool
- National Grid could be penalized for Little Falls house explosion
- UPDATE - National Grid reporting power outage in Utica area
- National Grid opens training facility in New Hartford