HERKIMER, N.Y. - A neighbor whose kids went to school with the victims of the Herkimer fire gives his condolences.
“I'm really truly sorry about what happened and I just wish I could help," said Kevin Kingdon, a neighbor.
Kingdon’s kids were friends with the boys who died in the fire. They rode the bus to school together every day.
“I'm out here with my kids every morning throughout the week, right here on the corner of Steele and King,” said Kingdon.
He says his children are too young to understand.
“Its not going to hit them right now because they really don’t know yet whats going on, but they know of some stuff that went on today," said Kingdon.
Another neighbor says she will never forget what she saw.
“Knowing now there was children in the house, oh terrible, because I have grandchildren,” said Deborah Fitch, a neighbor.
Fitch said she tried to comfort the family when this first happened.
“I was trying to help everybody over here and comfort a couple of ladies, like I said, comfort them because they were their grandchildren in there," said Fitch.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise money for the funerals and for the family to start rebuilding a new home.
“I feel bad, I really do. I wish there was something I could do," said Kingdon. "I give my heartfelt condolences to the family.”
WKTV did reach out to the school district to see if there will be grief counslers avaliable Monday morning but we have yet to hear back.
- Neighbor: 'I give my heartfelt condolences to the family'
- National Survivors of Suicide Day program in New Hartford brings heartfelt thoughts to Waterville family
- Neighbors praying for closure for family after second body pulled from Oneida Lake
- Utica neighbor dispute settled in court
- Mug Club: Neighbors Inc. Annual Garage Sale
- Mug Club: Your Neighbors Inc. Chicken BBQ
- Local family gives effort, time and hair in caring for Caidence
- Lead-Free Mohawk Valley gives families healthy living and safety tips
- Feeling the gift-giving pressure?