NEW YORK (AP) - Television networks airing President Donald Trump's Oval Office speech on his proposed border wall and the partial government shutdown have also committed to airing the Democratic response to the president.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer say they will make the case themselves. ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox broadcasting, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network and MSNBC all said they would air the rebuttal.
The dueling remarks come in the third week of the shutdown over the president's insistence that congressional Democrats approve more than $5 billion in spending for the U.S.-Mexico border wall. Democrats have refused to pay for it.
Trump's opponents have urged television networks to be aggressive in fact-checking any false statements.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Networks to air Pelosi, Schumer rebuttal to Trump
- Trump to meet with Pelosi, Schumer over looming shutdown
- Schumer Makes Stop In CNY
- Children's Miracle Network Thanks Confidata
- Children's Miracle Network Thanks YOU!
- Trump invites Schumer to White House to seek budget deal
- Schumer: Trump budget cuts funds for gun background checks
- Schumer responds to Trump tweet with first lady's words
- Sen. Schumer announces upstate NY infrastructure proposal
- Children's Miracle Network Thanks Stewart's Shops