NEW HARTFORD N.Y.- The New Hartford Boys Basketball team played their annual All in for Vin Game Friday night.
The game was played against Utica Proctor and before the game, a moment of silence was held in memory of Vinny Maugeri, who graduated from New Hartford in 2013 and played for the Spartans.
Maugeri was tragically killed in a car accident in 2016.
No admission was charged for Friday night’s game, but donations were accepted. Proceeds donated at the game will be used to support the All In For Vin Memorial Fund.
Two of Maugeri’s former friends and teammates say they are honored that the school does this in memory of him annually.
“It's always just a beautiful tribute. Vinny was always bigger than basketball. Biggest personality best smile everyone just loved being around him and I think it's just an incredible way to keep the spirit alive.” said Mark Chanatry who played basketball with Maugeri at New Hartford.
Joe Donovan, another friend and teammate of Maugeri said: "He was very well known within the community, and the family is as well. So we're hoping this doesn't die down and this tournament keeps going on his honor, and leaves a lasting legacy in his memory."
This is the third year the game was played in Maugeri’s honor. New Hartford unfortunately fell to Utica Proctor 61-43.
- New Hartford Boys Basketball Team played annual "All In For Vin" game
- New Hartford hosts first 'All in for Vin' basketball tournament
- 'All in for Vin' Classic Basketball Tournament tipped off today
- New Hartford Boy Scout honored
- New Hartford High School starts unified basketball team
- New Hartford Historical Society Annual Dinner
- Whitesboro's Section III boys basketball game slated for earlier start
- Bertram resigns as coach of Cooperstown boys basketball, tennis teams
- Cooperstown is abuzz over boys basketball team's first state title
- Frankfort-Schuyler and West Canada Valley boys basketball teams earn wins, New Hartford girls volleyball remains undefeated to highlight Wednesday's action