NEW HARTFORD, N.Y. - Hundreds of people in New Hartford showed their support for the service men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
Spectators young and old enjoyed the annual Memorial Day parade in New Hartford. The parade started at New Hartford Shopping center, went onto Genesee Street, Pearl Street, Sanger Avenue, Oxford Road and then ended at the New Hartford Fire Department.
"I had a wonderful time, everybody that came out was spectacular," Donna Ford from Waterville said.
For many people, this day means so much.
"Being a veteran myself, it really means a lot," Bob Schmelcher from New Hartford said.
For Army veteran, Jennifer Miner, Memorial Day is more than just a holiday.
"It really symbolizes the ones that didn't make it home," Miner said. "A few of my friends didn't make it home from Afghanistan when we deployed so it really hits home for me."
Many in the crowd were happy to see so many people attend the parade.
"It's fantastic to see so many people out here honoring all of our veterans and people that gave so much so that we can have a wonderful day like today to celebrate," Dianne Nassar from Deerfield said.
Others wanted to thank those who served and never came home.
"I'd like to thank them for all they've done to have this Memorial Day and every Memorial Day we should honor them," Friar Francis Gigliotti from New York Mills said.
New Hartford American Legion Post 1376 had a ceremony Monday morning. It started with an opening speech from the legion commander.
Local veterans from all branches of the military were recognized.
Oneida County officials wanted to remind everyone what Memorial Day is about.
"I think people sometimes get caught up in the day off and the week off and the cookouts but its more important to remember those men and women that gave their lives up so that we can have those freedoms so I think its a very important day," Under-sheriff Joe Lisi with the Oneida County Sheriffs Department said.
- New Hartford draws big crowd for Memorial Day Parade
- 2019 Mohawk Valley March for Babies draws a big crowd
- Star Wars film "The Rise of Skywalker" draws crowd to Marquee Cinema in New Hartford
- Utica's Fourth of July parade draws large crowd, and community pride
- Big crowd braves the cold for Utica's St. Patrick's Day Parade
- CNY Memorial Stair Climb draws hundreds
- Hundreds come out to Memorial Day parade in Oneida
- List of local Memorial Day parades and services
- Memorial Day 2019: List of parades, services happening locally Monday
- 2 New Hartford teens to perform in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade