NEW HARTFORD – A man who claims he was sexually abused by a local priest as a boy has filed suit against the Diocese of Syracuse and other organizations.
In a lawsuit filed Wednesday in State Supreme Court in Syracuse, Steven Moran of New Hartford alleges he was sexually abused as a child by Thomas Neary, a priest who was assigned to St. John the Evangelist Church in New Hartford. Moran says from 1954-1960 Neary abused him at several locations in Central New York, including the church, Camp Nazareth in Woodgate, Neary’s parents’ house in Solvay, and in Neary’s car. Moran was approximately ten years old at the time of the alleged abuse.
Moran’s lawsuit alleges personal injuries, emotional distress, and anguish as a result of the sexual abuse. The lawsuit says the Diocese is responsible for monetary damages because they knew or should have known that Neary was a predator and allowed him to be a priest and have access to children anyway. St. John the Evangelist Church and Camp Nazareth are also named as defendants, as well as a second unidentified priest. Neary died in 2001 at the age of 83.
The suit comes on the first day of New York State’s new “Child Victims Act”, which allows people one year to file civil lawsuits that had previously been barred by the state's statute of limitations, which were among the nation's tightest. Lawmakers voted this year to extend the statute of limitations going forward and to create the one-year litigation window to give victims a new chance to file lawsuits.
In a letter to the Diocese dated August 10, newly-installed Bishop Douglas Lucia addressed the Child Victims Act, saying in part “…To all victims, I once again in the name of the Diocese of Syracuse apologize most deeply and sincerely for the heinous acts perpetrated against them by their abusers who were supposed to be the caregiver of souls. I renew my offer to meet with victims, if there is any way I can assist them in their search for healing and peace.”
NewsChannel 2 has reached out to Moran’s attorney for comment on the lawsuit.
- New Hartford man sues Diocese of Syracuse, Camp Nazareth over priest sex abuse
- Syracuse diocese announces compensation program for clergy sex abuse victims
- Syracuse Diocese to compensate clergy sex abuse victims
- 57 priests named in Syracuse Catholic Diocese child sexual abuse list
- Source: NY Catholic dioceses subpoenaed in sex abuse probe
- Syracuse Diocese to release list of clergy accused of sexual abuse
- Diocese of Syracuse settles 79 sexual abuse cases for nearly $11 million
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Syracuse names new bishop
- New Hartford psychiatrist Surendra Johri faces new sex abuse charges
- New Hartford psychiatrist pleads not guilty to sex abuse charges