UTICA – A New Hartford psychiatrist has been accused of new sex crimes after previously being acquitted of a similar charge last month.
The New York State Justice Center says 61-year-old Dr. Surendra Johri was arrested by the Utica Police Department and charged with two counts of misdemeanor forcible touching and two counts of misdemeanor sexual abuse. The Justice Center says Johri is accused of touching a female patient sexually in 2017 at Community Health Behavioral Services on Genesee Street in Utica, where he worked as a psychiatrist.
“We will not tolerate the misdeeds of licensed professionals who abuse their authority and the people in their care,” said Denise Miranda of the NYS Justice Center. “The harm they can do to people who rely on them for healing is incalculable.”
The Justice Center says these most recent charges “stem from an alleged incident that was brought to the attention of the Utica Police Department and the Justice Center after the announcement of Johri’s prior arrest for sexual abuse.”
In mid-June, Johri stood trial in Utica City Court after he was accused of sexually abusing a female patient by placing her hand on his groin during a counseling session at Community Health Behavioral Services. Johri was found not guilty, but was terminated from his employment with the center.
Johri also faces additional charges of forcible touching and sex abuse stemming from the allegations of another victim. That case is expected to go to trial later this summer.
Johri is scheduled to appear in Utica City Court on August 1st to answer these most recent charges.
- New Hartford psychiatrist Surendra Johri faces new sex abuse charges
- New Hartford psychiatrist pleads not guilty to sex abuse charges
- Mixed verdict in New Hartford psychiatrist's sex abuse trial
- Prosecution rests in sex abuse trial of local psychiatrist
- Second sexual abuse trial for New Hartford psychiatrist delayed until February
- Second trial begins for New Hartford psychiatrist accused of sexual abuse
- Sentencing postponed for New Hartford psychiatrist convicted of sexually abusing patients
- New sentencing date for New Hartford psychiatrist convicted of sexually abusing patients
- Dr. Johri sexual assault trial adjourned