DEERFIELD, NY – Several volunteer fire departments from around New York competed Saturday in the annual New York State Motorized Firematics Championship Drill.
Bragging rights were on the line as over 40 volunteer fire departments converged on Deerfield for the competition.
Teams competed in 8 different events involving both motorized and foot drills.
The firematics competition showcases not only the physical conditioning of the firefighters, but also their firefighting skills, teamwork, and commitment.
Paul Susskind of the Bayshore Fire Department says, “All the things we do here, and this started over a hundred years ago when they used these things going to a fire, and it evolved into this. The basics we’re doing here, hoses, ladders, getting used to doing things with them, is stuff that goes on at the fire scene all the time.”
Officials also say that the competition is a good recruiting tool for the volunteer fire departments whose numbers have been dwindling over the past few years.
You can find the results of this year’s competition here.
- New York State Motorized Firematics Championship wraps up in Deerfield.
- Mug Club: NYS Motorized Firematics Championship & Parade
- Annual state firematics championship to be held in Deerfield this weekend
- Santa comes to Deerfield
- New York motor vehicles agency touts Real and Enhanced ID
- Car slams into utility pole in Deerfield
- Fire officials investigating Deerfield house fire
- School bus involved in Deerfield crash
- Car flips over into ditch in Deerfield
- Mug Club: Deerfield Fire Department Chicken BBQ