ILION – Assemblyman Brian Miller visited an Ilion home Thursday, to look into the water problem that some families are dealing with.
Many Ilion residents describe Ilion’s water as mustard or lemonade in color. They're told it's safe to drink and use, but that doesn't mean they should or that they would want to.
One resident, Jessie Lee Vandeusen, wrote a letter describing what her family is dealing with. Assemblyman Brian Miller will bring that information back to Albany with him.
Miller and Senator James Seward met to discuss long term proposals for a new water treatment plant, which include a source of water change and new water lines and infrastructure.
“It's an aging water system,” Miller said. “It's been around since the turn of the century.”
Vandeusen says the water problem affects her family’s laundry as well.
“Anything that's white is now muddied looking,” Vandeusen said. “We have had white patches on our clothes from whatever's left over in the water, it's depositing on our clothes. And we also are having an odor ranging from metallic to fishy to wet dog."
Ilion's engineering firm will submit a report to the state, and an assessment will then be made to determine what state or federal money is available for Ilion.
The local state lawmakers are working with agencies including the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, the New York State department of health, the New York State office of the USDA - along with other agencies.
The deadline to file the engineering report is next week.
- New York State official takes notice of Ilion's water problem
- Ilion water problems continue
- Ilion Water Problem: One Step Closer to Solution
- Residents learn about possible solutions to Ilion water problems
- Ilion officials provide estimated time frame for water problem to be fixed
- Stockbridge boil water notice lifted
- Officials respond to water rescue at the Ilion Marina
- State officials helping to find a solution for Ilion's water issues
- State of Emergency, conserve water order continue in Ilion
- Boil water advisory issued in Ilion