ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - The annual springtime turkey hunting weekend for young hunters is coming up in most of New York state.
Licensed hunters 12 to 15 years old are eligible for the special two-day hunt next weekend. They must have a turkey permit and be accompanied by a parent or other adult with written permission from a parent or guardian.
Shooting hours are from a half hour before sunrise until noon.
The regular spring turkey season starts on May 1 in upstate New York. Hunters killed about 19,000 birds during last year's spring turkey season.
The Department of Environmental Conservation says poor reproductive success in the summer of 2017 means hunters may see fewer adult turkeys this year compared to last year.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- New York's spring turkey hunting season is opening
- New York selling hunting licenses for upcoming season
- New York's main season for deer and bear hunting begins
- Early bear hunting season begins in parts of New York
- In an effort to curb overpopulation, Canada goose hunting season opens in New York state
- New York ski centers open for season
- Fishing season opens in New York for cool water species
- Volunteers sought for New York's summer wild turkey survey
- New York had 19 hunting-related shooting incidents in 2017
- Spring weather brings seasonal allergies too