Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Office launched a new data privacy survey to improve the regulation of online marketplace for New Yorkers.
The New York State Division of Consumer Protection says the survey will give people the opportunity to weigh in on data privacy issues and inform policymaking.
The initiative follows the governor’s call for the New York Department of State, along with the New York State Department of Financial Services and other agencies, to investigate reports that Facebook is secretly accessing personal information of users.
"In the digital age nearly every New Yorker has an online presence and consumers are an important resource for identifying ways to make the internet safer," Governor Cuomo said in a statement. "This survey will provide policymakers with important insight into data privacy issues that will inform our efforts to create effective policy that prevents online companies from misusing or abusing personal data."
The new survey asks respondents about the number of smart devices in each household, the operating systems being used, and whether they know how to access privacy settings on social media, apps and Internet browsers. It also asks consumers to describe the types of personal information they believe is being collected, stored or sold by social media outlets, apps and/or browsers; any specific experiences or concerns regarding the collection or sharing of such information without permission; and what future data privacy consumer protections would make the consumer feel safe.
To take part in the survery, head to www.NY.Gov/DataPrivacySurvey.
- New data privacy survey aims to improve regulation of online marketplace in NY
- Enrollment in health coverage through NY marketplace is up
- Record number enrolled through NY health plan marketplace
- NY lawmakers to review regulations on Bitcoin
- NY Attorney General probing Uber data breach
- Most New Yorkers won't see premium increases on marketplace
- Thanksgiving fixings cost less this year in NY, says survey
- State survey asks NY residents about deer concerns
- New Narcan regulations affect who can obtain it in NY
- NY legislation would regulate nail salon drying lamps