ROME – Business owners in the city of Rome were honored Wednesday morning by the Rome Area Chamber of Commerce.
The chamber held its 106th Anniversary Business Meeting at The Beeches, where Gary Philipson introduced the new owner who will carry on his family’s legacy at outdoor retailer “Herb” Philipson’s.
Back in March, just two months after former company president Gary Philipson announced that the retailer was up for sale, longtime employee Guy Viti stepped up to purchase the company. Viti has been employed with “Herb” Philipson’s for 37 years, most recently serving as president of Merchandising and Operations for the company. He now serves as president of the company.
Customer service, a few tweaks to inventory, partnerships, and new ways to compete with online retailers are among the visions the new owner has for the future of “Herb” Philipson’s.
“We’re going to have to change our ideas and maybe find ways to get merchandise quicker to the consumer,” Viti said. “And we’re looking to extend and grow stores as we go. We’re looking for better customer walk-in service from our people, just general retail business, and that’s what we’re going to continue to do.”
At the chamber's meeting on Wednesday, companies honored for their outstanding achievements include the Rome Industrial Development Corporation, the Toccolana Club, Felice Moving & Storage, Honor America Day and Griffiss International Airport.
- New owner of 'Herb' Philipson's introduced at Chamber of Commerce meeting
- Outdoor retailer 'Herb' Philipson's up for sale
- 'Herb' Philipson's files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Herb Philipson's annual coat drive to begin Friday
- Herb Philipson's aims to collect 3,000 coats by Sunday
- 'Herb' Philipson's celebrates grand reopening under new ownership
- 'Herb' Philipson's becomes exclusive offsite retailer of Comets merchandise
- Herb Philipson's is up for sale, will auction off assets
- Mug Club: Herkimer County Chamber of Commerce Annual Meeting
- Longtime employee purchases 'Herb' Philipson's, says 'best is yet to come'