DEERFIELD – Beth Irons of the Oneida County Public Market joined NewsTalk Friday afternoon to talk about the market and to share her recipe for Fresh Tomato Pie.
The Oneida County Public Market is held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday outside Union Station in Utica.
FRESH TOMATO PIE
5 roma tomatoes , peeled and sliced
10 fresh basil leaves , chopped
1/2 cup green onion (or red onion), chopped
1 9-inch pre-baked pie crust
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup mayonnaise (or half mayo, half Greek yogurt)
2 Tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow them to rest for 10 minutes.
3. Use a paper towel to pat-dry the tomatoes and make sure most of the excess juice is out. (You don't want wet (juicy) tomatoes or your pie will turn out soggy).
4. Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pre-baked pie shell. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise or Greek yogurt together.
6. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Fresh Tomato Pie recipe
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Breakfast Pizza Roll recipe
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Apple Dumpling Bake recipe
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Nutty Maple Muffins recipe
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Strawberry Muffins recipe
- Newstalk:Tomato Pie Day
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Apple Maple Crumble Pie
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Apple Butter Spice Cake recipe
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Cranberry Sweet Potato Muffins recipe
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Cranberry Pecan Oatmeal Cookies recipe