ONEIDA, N.Y. -- Mary-Margaret Zehr Superintendent, Oneida City School District joined Jason Powles in studio for a NewsTalk on the Oneida City School District Facility Study Forum.
The district will be holding a public forum on January 3, 2019- 6:30 p.m. at the high school library, where they will discuss the recommendations of the facility study and garner feedback about the recommendations.
Additionally, they say they will share the next steps to create a Facility Vision Team and request volunteers to join the team.
Last year, the Oneida City School District worked with Alan Pole and Jessica Cohen from Castallo and Silky LLC – Education Consultants to study the facilities at Oneida.
The study will determine if there is a better way to educationally and fiscally reconfigure the grades and facilities to provide a sound instructional program now and in the future.
The study made several recommendations:
- The district should convene a facility planning committee develop and monitor a long-term facilities plan for the district.
- The district should consolidate the low enrollment sections of Kindergarten, grade 1 and grade 2 at Willard Prior.
- The district should keep the elementary grade configurations status quo option for all schools except Willard Prior.
- The district should convene the facilities committee to begin the development of a 3-5 year facilities plan that may consider closing an elementary school.
- The district should use the attrition method for reducing staff should any staff reductions be realized from this initiative.