DEERFIELD, N.Y. – Beth Irons of the Oneida County Public Market joined NewsTalk Friday afternoon to share her Rhubarb Bread recipe.
1-1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup oil
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 to 1-1/2 cups chopped raw rhubarb, depending on the juiciness of the variety
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1. Combine brown sugar, oil, egg, milk, and soda.
2. Sift together flour and salt and add to liquid mixture.
3. Fold in rhubarb and ½ cup nuts.
4. Pour into greased and floured 9x5-inch loaf pan.
5. Combine granulated sugar, butter, and cinnamon until crumbly.
6. Add ¼ cup nuts and sprinkle topping over batter in pan.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour or until done.
Makes 1 loaf