SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Syracuse University football will retire Tim Green’s jersey at the Clemson home opener this fall.
SU Director of Athletics John Wildhack made the announcement on Monday.
Green, now 55 years old, is battling a slow-progressive form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as ALS. He and his family have started the fundraised, Tackle ALS, which has raised more than $2.1 million for ALS research.
He was SU’s all-time sacks leader, and was the first largely defensive player in the history of the program to have his jersey retired – the sixth overall.
“I humbly accept this great honor not on behalf of myself but on behalf of Coach Mac, his entire coaching staff, my teammates and of course – George O’Leary,” Green said in a statement. “Without them, any success I had on the football field would not have been possible. I also want my fellow Syracuse Orange fans to know how much I have enjoyed their kindness and support through the years. This recognition is especially sweet because it comes during another era of rebirth to greatness for the SU football program. I want to thank John Wildhack and the current administration for this incredible tribute.”
Wildhack says that Green is one of the “most accomplished student-athletes in the history of Syracuse University.” A recruit of the Coach Mac-era, he said the Syracuse native chose to play for his hometown team and in doing so, he helped rebuild the program.
“Tim’s courage and optimism in dealing with ALS is truly inspiring,” Wildhack said in a statement. “It is only fitting that a person of his achievement be celebrated at one of the most-anticipated home games in recent history.”
The No. 72 jersey will be retired by the Orange program at halftime of the Clemson game on September 14.
- No. 72: Orange retiring Tim Green's jersey at home opener with Clemson
- Eli Manning officially retires, Giants to retire jersey number
- Former Syracuse All-American Tim Green says he has ALS
- Clemson rips Alabama to win CFP championship
- Syracuse awaits No. 1 Clemson at Dome
- Duke turns back Orange 69-65
- Battle scores 17 as Syracuse beats No. 18 Clemson
- Syracuse gets 14 points from Hughes, beats Clemson 61-53
- Early Clemson-Syracuse matchup looms large in ACC Atlantic
- Lawrence leads No. 1 Clemson past Syracuse 41-6