UTICA, N.Y. -- The new chief deputy of the Oneida County Child Advocacy Center has been announced.
Oneida County Sheriff Rob Maciol named Derek O'Meara as the chief deputy of task force operations, which is a position that oversees the center.
Previously, O'Meara was assigned to the Criminal Investigation Unit with the sheriff's office part-time. He also spent 32 years with the New York State Police Department.
The center investigates sexual crimes against children under the age of 17. and monitors sex offenders throughout the county.
“Derek O’Meara has an extensive and impressive background in various aspects of law enforcement and will make an excellent Chief Deputy of Task Force Operations,” said Oneida County Executive Anthony J. Picente Jr. in a statement. “The Oneida County Child Advocacy Center plays a crucial role in protecting the children of this community and supporting young victims and their families. The qualities that Chief O’Meara has displayed during his time with the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office and the New York State Police will serve him well, and we are lucky to have someone of such caliber in this important position.”
Oneida County Executive Anthony J. Picente Jr., Oneida County District Attorney Scott McNamara, Oneida County Sheriff Robert Maciol, and Oneida County Department of Social Services Commissioner Colleen Fahy-Box all partner to oversee the CAC.
O'Meara is stepping into the position following Michael Purdy's departure in late 2018. Purdy left to pursue other opportunities, Maciol says.
- O'Meara tapped to oversee Oneida County Child Advocacy Center as chief deputy
- Michael Purdy appointed chief deputy of Oneida County Child Advocacy Center
- Oneida Co. Sheriff's Office seeks applications for Chief Deputy of Child Advocacy Center
- Otsego County Child Advocacy Center expands with new exam room
- Local 4th graders donate blankets to Child Advocacy Center
- New Hartford students donate handmade blankets to Child Advocacy Center
- Deputies needed for Oneida County Sheriff's Office
- Cooling Centers in Oneida, Madison, Lewis counties
- Benefit being held for Willowvale fire chief, Oneida County deputy sheriff diagnosed with stage 4 cancer
- Grand jury to oversee Schoharie limo crash